Friday, May 30, 2008

Cinnamon-Raisin-Nut Bread

So the first time I made this recipe it came out really amazing! Unfortunatly, the second and third times it failed miserably (just a small warning on the possibility of this recipe failing you). When I master bread I will be sure to let you know, in the meantime I'm going to keep posting my recipes that sometimes come out really good;)

I made this recipe without the nuts because I don't really like nuts in my bread, but I think it would also taste excellent with nuts and possibly chunks of other dried fruit. The bread itself has a very nice texture.

Ingredients:
2 cups Bean Flour Mix
1 tablespoon maple or brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried orange peel
1 teaspoon cinnamon (I'm going to add more of this next time)
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped nuts
1/3 cup lukewarm water
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon dry yeast
3/4 cup orange juice (lukewarm)
1/2 cup liquid egg substitute (2 tablespoons flax seeds + 6 tablespoons liquid works great)
1 teaspoon vinegar or dough enhancer
3 tablespoons oil

Oil a 4"x8" loaf pan.

In a small mixing bowl, blend the bean flour mix, brown sugar, xanthan gum, salt, orange peel, and cinnamon. Stir in the raisins and nuts. Put aside.

In a measuring cup, mix the water and maple syrup. Add the yeast and let dissolve. In the bowl of your mixer, place the yeast water and orange juice and add eggs, vinegar, and oil. Using the heavy beater (not dough hook), beat for a few seconds. Add the flour mix and beat on high for 2 minutes. Turn into your prepared loaf pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place for approximately 1 hour (should about double in bulk). Bake in a preheated 350˚ oven for 50 minutes or until the loaf tests done by sounding hollow when rapped. Turn out immediately onto a board to cool.

recipe adapted from: The Gluten-Free Gourmet: Cooks Fast and Healthy

No comments: